Friday 26 September 2014

It doesn’t get anymore “up”

Today’s flight was bumpy, in many ways. Strong upper winds causing me some headaches, some scattered/broken cloud at lower than I’d like altitudes not helping either.

Bob’s reply to my “I’m not convinced that there is sufficient ceiling for me to set up for the stalls you have requested” was to pull back the throttle and state “well, there goes your engine”

I made the field but got spatially disoriented yet again and landed the wrong sodding way.

Eventually we headed back; I stumbled my way through a diversion, at least this time remembering to make some position calls even if my wind correction factor was off a little. My ETA, at least, was spot on.

I’d been painfully aware of the upper winds but the crawl back to city made me realise just how strong they were. I didn’t even protest when Bob switched on the GPS unit (normally I object to the beeping sound it makes, usually just as I’m about to land). The display told me exactly what I needed to know.

As I entered the zone ATC implored me to keep my speed up. Many many responses flew through my mind. I settled for a mere acknowledgement with my call sign.

Twice more ATC requested that I “keep my speed up”, even going as far as to request that the Porter behind me “keep dialing the speed back,” as there was “a slow Cessna on final”

Consummate professional that I am, I refrained from saying what was really in my head, which went something along the lines of “I’m near redlining my engine at 2400 rpm, I’m in bumpy air and near yellow lining my airspeed. It isn’t my fault that I’m limping in at a measly 55 Knots ground speed. This is as UP as it gets!”

I just settled for casually nailing my crosswind landing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment