Friday 4 July 2014

Thoughts on my job.

I’m taking a vacation day today, planning some time to myself, out of email and cell phone coverage.
This is an insanely busy time of the year for me, at a time when most other people are winding down for the summer break, so I’m taking the time when I can.

Although I’m busy, I’m not as stressed as I was this time last year. I think “resigned to the inevitable” covers it better.

I’ve been reflecting on work a little bit, given the inevitable job shuffling that occurs every summer and based on a couple of emails I’ve been throwing back and forth to various people. I think my fundamental problem is not whether I’m good at my job or not. It’s just that, fundamentally, I’m not sure my job is actually worth being good at.

Let’s face it, 90% of the stuff I do is pure bullsh!t and at the end of the day, if I didn’t do it, the world would still revolve.

At least when I was teaching, I was making some kind of difference.




No comments:

Post a Comment