Tuesday 8 July 2014

Stuck in the middle

Well I had a suspicion that it was going to happen, and I’m fairly certain it has. I had a sneaky feeling that I’d hit the wall as it were.

I’ve read the theory and it seems it is sound; apparently the two major learning plateaus that student pilots hit are when they start in the circuit and when they are prepping for the flight test.

And I’ve run smack bang into the latter, in my opinion. I’ve had two flights with Bob now, that I’d categorise as okay-ish. Great if you are judging them by my standards of a year ago; not so great if you are judging them by the Flight Test Standards.

I’m making the same mistakes; forced approaches that don’t quite make it. Diversions that are a few too many degrees off. Air work that’s just scraping the tolerances.  Stuff I know I can do better but somehow I’m not.

I’m stuck in the middle. A million miles away from where I started but achingly far away from where I want to be.

Part of me knows that, just like the circuit blip, this too shall pass. But I was stuck in that circuit for oh so long. To the point where I was begging Bob to let me out, to do anything other than another damn circuit lesson. 

I don’t know if I can take being stuck at this point for that length of time.


1 comment:

  1. You're gonna hate this, but it comes down to repetition, repetition and more repetition until it comes to you. Remember, it's not about flying perfectly, it's about recognizing errors and fixing them in a timely manner. You're now realizing that things aren't right, that's great. Now all you need to do is realize this in the plane and fix them on the spot as they occur, and that skill only comes from familiarity.

    ReplyDelete