Saturday 19 July 2014

Role reversal

Despite the forecast of sunny skies and unlimited ceilings, I woke up to cool and overcast skies. I take a look at the weather sources available to me. The City METAR/TAF looks ok for the morning but I notice an area on the GFA hovering over Hamilton, low ceilings and precipitation. This combined with the fact that the actual winds at City were stronger than forecast, causes me to pause for thought. The weather is going to be fine until the rain hits but when will that be?

There are people who are paid to be better at interpreting the weather than me. So I call them. I get a rundown of the local conditions. Most of which I’m aware of. Then we get to the rain. Amazingly his interpretation agrees with mine, Yes the rain is going to get here earlier than predicted but I should still be good for the length of flight I have planned. I thank him for his take on the conditions.

Then it starts to get a bit weird.

He asks me if I need the NOTAMS, I assure him that I’d reviewed them and was aware of the restricted airspace over the Exhibition Grounds (It’s Indy Race time!). “Oh Ok then,” he says. “In which case, you’re a local pilot, can you tell me how the tower are handling it, I mean they are going to be using the East runway and that’s right on the approach path, right?”

Luckily I can answer that question; I was keeping an eye on the situation yesterday. I explain that they seem to be either turning people on a really wide base and final out over Humber Bay or bringing you in over the city to join mid right downwind.

We end the call with him thanking me for my help!


Hmm a little role reversal there!

No comments:

Post a Comment