Wednesday 23 July 2014

Minor irritants

A couple of things that irritate me on the ground, all of them to do with the large spinning propeller on the front of the plane.

That prop is lethal, and I treat it as such. With a healthy dose of respect. People have been known to get careless and people have been known to lose their lives.

So why does it seem that I’m the only one who yells “CLEAR!” at the top of her lungs, just before engine start?

I’ve been standing next to planes that have suddenly started their engines. I can assure you that no verbal warning was given beforehand.

On the other hand, when I’ve blasted your eardrums warning you that the big spinney thing is about to start spinning, can you at least acknowledge that you’ve heard me, rather than just wandering seemingly oblivious in front of me?

Seriously, aprons are dangerous places and sometimes you need just as much situational awareness on the ground as you do in the air. I never approach anywhere near a plane with the prop running unless I have visual confirmation that the pilot has seen me.

And passengers need briefing before you go out, to be on the lookout for engines starting.


Let’s all be safe out there, OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment