Monday 21 July 2014

I have no idea.

Once I’ve landed I gather up my various cushions and other assorted crap from the plane and head back into the flight school. I throw one of my cushions onto the sofa, narrowly missing an instructor who’s parked himself there and go to fill in the flight sheet. There’s a little bit of haggling over what the initial Hobbs start was, a discrepancy of 0.1 on the official log. I quickly realise that the discrepancy works in my favour, so I don’t push it too much.

Bob wanders back to the computer, pulling up the radar. Obviously keeping an eye on the impending rain showers. He has flights later that day and is presumably trying to get a handle on whether to cancel them or not.

His next student arrives and we chat while I wait for someone from dispatch to process my bill. “So how’s the weather out there?” he asks.

I open my mouth to reply and then shut it again.

I think for a moment.

I’m puzzled. I don’t have an answer.

Then I realise why.

“Sorry, I spent exactly half that flight under the hood, I wasn’t even aware that there was an ‘outside’. I have no idea what the visibility was!” I laugh.

He looks puzzled and then figures out what I’m talking about “Oh you mean the cone thingy”

Of course, he hasn’t had the joy of that particular form of torture and won’t for a long while yet.


Enjoy the ignorance while it lasts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment