Sunday 13 July 2014

A high standard of maintenance

I’d mentioned before that I was a little anxious about being the first person to fly JES post maintenance.
As it turns out I needn’t have worried. As usual she performed admirably, the pilot; not so much. Not a mechanical problem in sight. And that really is the story of my life with the planes I fly. Despite the shocking abuse they tolerate from us students on a near non-stop daily basis, I have never had a maintenance related issue at all.

Sure the interiors have a look which is well worn at best but the mechanical bits are solid, rugged and well maintained. The important stuff is looked after.

While I’m waiting for maintenance to finish off the paperwork (the plane can’t be released until all the I’s are dotted and t’s crossed), I’m treated to the sight of the owner giving my windows a thorough cleaning. I relish the VIP treatment and silently thank him for not mocking my three milk crate system for getting up to check the wings.

We push the plane outside and I wait on maintenance to return the keys and journey log to me. It’s pleasant on the apron. A gentle breeze keeping temperatures manageable, the general hustle and bustle of a busy airport unfolding in front of me.

Eventually they finish up and bring out the stuff I need to start my flight. The mechanic takes the time to talk me through the entries in the log. Some engine work; compression testing of the cylinders, a replaced wheel bearing, adjustments to the rear seatbelts. Nothing that raises alarm bells.

I thank him for his time and we spend a few minutes chatting. I introduce myself and ask him a little about the work he does. I’m interested in learning more about what’s under the hood of my plane and have some time to spare in August. I mention this and I’m told I’d be more than welcome to come down any time. I intend to take them up on the offer.

Finally, after my flight I take the time to duck back into the hanger to once again thank them for an uneventful flight in JES and chat a little more.

I’m quite excited at the prospect of getting an expert tour of the inner workings of the planes I fly and getting my hands dirty.

Maintenance people are often overlooked in the world of aviation but every uneventful flight starts with a well maintained plane and for that I am very grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment