Saturday 14 June 2014

On track

Not my favourite way to spend a Friday night but I dutifully came home and sat the latest practice exam Bob had put my way.

Before I can sit the real thing I need a letter of recommendation from him, this is achieved by obtaining a mark of 80% or better in a practice exam. So far I have failed miserably to achieve the required standard. In real life to pass the actual exam you need 60% overall and a minimum of 60% in each of the four main areas.

As I’ve mentioned previously I’m dying to get through this and juts get it over with already. I need to hit that magic mark and soon!

Bob assured me that the latest exam he’d given me was a fair representative of what Transport Canada would throw my way. I grabbed my pencil, ruler, protractor and E6b and sat down to tackle it.

Hmm, it seemed to be going… reasonably well. Sure there were a few questions I was unsure of, a handful that I took blind guesses at. But the majority seemed OK, I spotted the traps that I felt they were trying to lure me into.  I’m paranoid about AGL vs ASL and magnetic verses true for directions.

The test was marked and I was mildly optimistic. Sure enough my work has been rewarded; on the practice exam I managed the following

Air law – 88%
General aviation knowledge – 92%
Meteorology – 100%
Navigation – 92%

If I even get close to those marks on the real thing I will be a very happy WMAP.

I’m just so glad that everything seems to be coming together now. I’ll be sitting the actual Transport Canada one soon and, fingers crossed, passing it and getting it out of the way. Then it’ll be full steam ahead on the flight test. The questions seem to make sense to me now, the knowledge residing in my head somewhere. I understand the practical applications of it and it’s making the whole process so much easier.

I’m definitely ready to do this.


No comments:

Post a Comment