Monday 16 June 2014

Leanings to the left

No not a statement on my political view but I description of yesterday’s lesson.

Now I am theoretically aware of the concept of “The Leans”, but I’ve never experienced it to the degree I did last lesson.

For those of you who can’t be bothered to read the wiki article, it is basically a phenomena that strikes when you don’t have a visual horizon to refer to. Either because you are in cloud or, like me, some sadistic instructor has put you in the “cone of stupidity”. Fundamentally you feel like you are straight and level when actually you aren’t.

It is really really messed up.

My instrument work is getting to be pretty ok, a little ragged yesterday maybe but nothing I couldn’t claw back. But it didn’t feel good. Bob basically took me from Bluffers Park to northwest Claremont under the hood. I was fighting my instincts the entire way. If I’d have gone by what my inner ear was telling me, we’d have been in all kinds of trouble. The urge to ignore the instruments and follow other senses was so strong. Even when I was maintaining my heading and altitude to well within the tolerances required, I was shaking my head.

“You’re doing a great job,” encouraged Bob.

I shook my head even more emphatically “ this feels all kind of wrong,” I complained, finding it almost impossible to reconcile what my balance was telling me compared to the instruments in front of me.
I have no way to describe the disorientation you fell when your ear says you are straight and level but your instruments say that you are in a distinct bank.

It got worse.

“Unusual attitudes” next. I’ve explained before this is where Bob gets me to close my eyes, does something messed up with the plane and then hands back control for me to sort it out.

Yes it is as bad as it sounds.

In theory recovery is easy. There is a set order to the things you are looking for and only a couple of options at each stage.

One, check your Airspeed Indicator. Running towards the red line? Power back, now! Creeping alarmingly close to stall speed? Shove the nose to below the horizon and gun the throttle.

Next get your wings level and then finally do whatever you need to do to recover lost altitude and return to straight and level flight.

I know all this. It’s relatively simple.

Bob puts me in a semi-spiral dive. Dutifully I yank back the power and get us flying again. Once we are straight and level I look over at Bob, waiting for his next instruction.

“Bank angle, WMAP.”

Holy Fudge!!! We are at 30 degrees at least. My brain didn’t even check the Attitude Indicator, why would it? We weren’t banked.

The dreaded leans strikes again

And again

Until I’m thumping the top of the glareshield chanting “Speed, bank angle, recover” in time to my taps to remind myself that cruise flight requires the wings to be level, as yet again Bob does something messed up with the plane.

Instrument work takes so much concentration, I’ve got two friends currently studying for their Instrument rating. I’m starting to see why they are such fans of autopilots! I have no idea how you can fly long trips under those conditions without one.


My brain still hurts now (along with my arms and legs but that’s a different post!)

No comments:

Post a Comment