Thursday 19 June 2014

It’s all in the name

This particular week at work is stupid busy, mainly because I’m dealing with a lot of stupid.
Despite my best efforts to streamline processes (and despite the fact I’m probably the only person outside our IT department who understands the concept of a business process), I’m inevitably thrown a curveball due either to our latest software “upgrades” or someone managing to be creatively stupid in a way I hadn’t anticipated.

This year it was a little of both. Normally I can troubleshoot these issues on my own but this time I’ve had to admit defeat when what should have been a simple mail merge kept cutting off the text midway through a sentence.

After half an hour of faffing around I had to admit defeat and call in the IT troops, who at least know me well enough to know it must be a major issue as I never call them for stuff I can’t fix myself.
In the course of troubleshooting, we worked with various different data formats to see if we could persuade the damn thing to work. Consequently I now have files on my desktop named

thisone

trythisone

bodge

epicbodge

and finally my favourite: hippo

Hippo finally worked. I guess it’s all in the name.


No comments:

Post a Comment