Saturday 8 March 2014

I don’t get it

I honestly don’t get some people and their attitudes. I mean don’t get me wrong I’m no paragon of virtue myself but I’d like to think that I have a reasonable sense of responsibility, no more or less than the average person.

I assumed that pretty much everyone was similar in attitude, especially people who want to learn to fly. I mean this isn’t a cheap hobby, you’d think that anyone turning up in the hanger was reasonably well prepared and motivated.

It doesn’t seem to be the case though. Bob has one student who is regularly late and whom I suspect consistently turns up less than fully prepared (I infer this myself, Bob is far too professional to discuss another student’s progress with me).

I can’t abide lateness, especially habitual lateness. I mean occasionally Bob’ll miss the ferry and end up on the one after he intended but he’s never late for our flights. In return he knows that I’ll be there stupidly early, have settled my stuff into the plane, completed my walkround and have notes prepped for the planned flight. I can’t imagine things being any other way.


I view lateness as disrespectful; basically you are saying that your time is worth more than the person’s you are wasting. I genuinely believe that the most valuable commodity Bob has to give to me is his time.  I value every minute of it. Plus I like to be as relaxed as possible before a flight. Getting there early means I don't feel rushed or stressed.

It’s not just lateness though, I regularly see students who seem less than enthusiastic to be there. A couple of weeks ago I saw a student with one of the younger instructors, they were doing a fantastic impression of a truculent teenager being dragged around against their will (the student not the instructor!). They seemed less than enthusiastic about been walked through their walkround.

A little later on they appeared to be being forced to stand in front of the computer and interpret the latest METARS and TAFS. I have no idea how far along in their training this student is and I know I struggled (still do) with Met. in general but it is a necessary evil. There's more to flying than just jumping in the plane.

But I also know the instructor in question. I know his background. And I know that if he tries to impart some tricks and tips about interpreting and predicting weather, you should listen.

I honestly don’t know what’s wrong with some people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment