Sunday 8 September 2013

From the archives : Unexpected expenses.

Now flying is an expensive hobby, I’ve never been under any illusions about that. But unlike a lot of women I don’t have a significant purse or shoe habit so I kind of justify it that way.

I thought I had a pretty good handle on all the requisite money to be paid out. Ground school, textbooks, charts, headset, medical, endless copies of the CFS* and so on and so forth. Here’s one I wasn’t expecting though, around $150 bucks to what seemed to be a Botox factory.
Let me explain a little bit. I have two fairly large pigmented skin tags on the right side of my neck. Which for the past 30 odd years have caused me very few problems. They do; however, bleed like hell if I catch them. And therein lies the problem. The seatbelt on the Cessna 172 starts from the centre of the plane (not the side as you would expect in a car). This means that the seatbelt presses into them and occasionally cuts them. I prefer not to bleed over other people’s vehicles so I thought I would investigate removal of them.

Normally I don’t hold with googling reviews of doctors and stuff because opinions are so subjective but this time I’m glad I did, I went in forewarned that it was basically a Botox joint and would probably try the hard sell. They did, they seemed more interested in trying to sell me laser treatment for my rosacea** than removing the tags.
Well they are not going to get to do either. I’m not paying $150 to have a couple of tags removed. I’ll resort to the low tech method of sticking a band aid over them if I can’t get my hands on some liquid nitrogen and do the job myself.

 

* By the end of his flight training RTH had enough copies to construct a small fort in his study!

** the doctor was slick, I’ll give them that, but I’m actually well aware of what caused it and the effectiveness of various treatments. I also noticed that the waiting room was kept deliberately hot and dry, all things guaranteed to make the condition worse! You’ve got to admire that level of hard selling.

No comments:

Post a Comment