Monday 30 September 2013

Command decision

I’ve been thinking about a comment Flyinkiwi posted a while back, talking about decision making

“……thoughts like, "I don't think I can manage this," change into, "I am making a command decision, and it’s a no go." Once you stop second guessing your ability flying gets a whole lot easier.”
I’ve been away for a few days and have come back home with a nasty cold. I always get a cold this time of year, I can pinpoint when I’ll succumb to almost exactly the week each year. It’s the special combination of the kids being back long enough to incubate the germs and my most stressful time of the year.

Last year I agonised over whether I should fly or not, trying to decide at what point you become too sick to fly. I spent hours trying to weigh up the pros and cons, the regression in my skills caused by a gap in my training vs the potential harm of flying when sick.
This time there was no question in my mind, as soon as I felt the all-too-familiar-symptoms kicking off, my first thought was “crap! I guess I won’t be flying this weekend then.”

I don’t know if the decision was easier because I’m confident enough in my own abilities that I know that a week won’t make much difference in the long term or that now I’m flying solo I’m very much aware that solo+sick is a potentially deadly combo but I do have a suspicion that Flyinkiwi is exactly right. I made a command decision, I stuck with it. And I feel OK about that,  

No comments:

Post a Comment