Saturday 13 July 2013

Visualising

It’s Friday, I have a flight booked for 9:30 Saturday morning and the weather conditions are looking good. All signs point to me heading off the Claremont on my own tomorrow. Despite my previous predictions, no sign of the inevitable panic-vomiting yet.

At the moment, I’d describe my mood/outlook as “nervous”. Personally I don’t think that’s an unreasonable position to be in. I think a sensible amount of nerves is a healthy thing. It keeps you alert and on your toes as opposed to relaxed and complacent.
So what mental turnaround has happened in order for to exchange panic and fear for mere nerves? I’d love to say I’ve had a mental epiphany, that I’ve found a way to battle through my usual reaction. Truth is though that work is stupid busy and has done an awful lot to p!ss me off this week.  I’ve spent most of my mental energy being totally furious at certain things and quite frankly haven’t had the time to start obsessing about my upcoming ordeal.

What I am trying to do is some focused visualisation. This might sound new-agey type hokum but really it just means imagining what you want to happen and seeing the mental picture of it happening. So I might close my eyes and remember what the mental picture of being on the downwind leg for 08 looks like. How far should I be from the shoreline? What should my altimeter say? What would that picture look like? What would I expect the needles on my instruments to do?
I think it works; I tried it a little on the way back from the practice area last time. I was cleared for a straight in approach for 26 and it’s been a long time since I did one of those and traditionally I’ve had problems judging my approach height and selecting a suitable speed.  As I got closer to the airport I realised that I was coming up on the eastern gap*. A little light bulb went off in my head, you’ve been here before. ATC have often sent you out on an extended final to the gap, what did that look like? Okay well I would have been at 65 knots on a final approach and a little under circuit altitude.  So that’s exactly what I set up for and you know what? It worked! Bob complimenting me on how well I blended from my initial approach to final for landing!

I’m looking at the opposite too. While I’m making sure my emergency procedures and stuff are straight in my head, I’m not obsessing over them. I don’t necessarily want to dwell on the “what ifs” because then that is where my focus is drawn and I start running into the paralysed-by-fear problem.
The final thing I’m visualising is taxiing back in with a huge smile on my face, knowing that I’ve done a good job and that the plane is back in one piece.

That’s definitely the image I’m concentrating on!

 
 

*I’m working on a series of blog posts about the geographical area I fly in, so bear with me if you don’t know the local landmarks!

No comments:

Post a Comment