Sunday 2 June 2013

Human factors

As part of your PPL, you have to do at least 40 hours of ground school, covering a certain range of topics. The most neglected of these is “Human Factors.” Inevitably it is the last class on the syllabus, thus ensuring that everyone is well and truly exhausted by the time they get round to it*. In my (admittedly limited) experience, this is where the token female flight instructor is wheeled out, so that the macho guys don’t have to deal with the “touchy feely” stuff.

Which is a stupid attitude, how many accidents are attributed to “pilot error”? As wonderful as the human brain is, it is the most unpredictable thing in the aircraft. The plane itself always obeys the laws of physics it’s just that sometimes the brain hasn’t quite figured out what the implications of those laws are.
So why am I bringing this up? Because I have a suspicion that this last lesson, I shouldn’t really have been flying. It’s easy to make that call when you are sick. Colds, flu, coughs etc. all good reasons not to fly but what other factors come into play?

This week has been a real doozy at work. I had a large event on the Friday, outdoors from 08:30 to 16:30 in temperatures pushing the mid 30s**. I was on my feet, back and forwards carrying stuff and just generally busy. By the end of the day I was hot and tired. Excessively so. I thought a cool shower and a good night’s sleep would sort it out. I was wrong.
Looking back the signs were all there, marginal weather so not making the call until the morning. I didn’t even bother to set the alarm. When the text from Bob came through saying “I’m planning for an ETA of 08:30” I came perilously close to saying “I’m not” and rolling back over to sleep.

I didn’t though, I got up muscles slightly stiff and sore and while not “fatigued” per se, just generally low energy, which is unusual for me, the thought of flying normally energises me.
In the plane admittedly the winds were incredibly challenging in a freakily unexpected kind of way (more on that in another post) but I think I’ve experienced worse. I’m sure I’ve reacted better that’s for sure. While I did kind of OK for the challenging conditions, I absolutely know I could have done better. I just ended up frustrated with the plane, the conditions and myself.

In general not the best learning environment for flying but a valuable lesson learned, and as my conference season ramps up; one that I need to remember.



* 18:30 – 21:30 twice a week for 7 weeks on top of a fulltime 9-5 job takes its toll. You cover so much in each session that your mind is reeling by the end

** With the Humidex we were probably looking closer to 40

 

No comments:

Post a Comment