Tuesday 11 June 2013

Getting crabby in the circuit

Tons of crosswind practice today. Really good, useful stuff and despite the high workload factor I was enjoying myself. Enjoying the fact that I could feel the progression of my skills. Working hard doesn’t bother me if I can see the results.

I was working hard and did get a teensy bit snippy with Bob and his “helpful” comments. It’s no secret that I struggle with centreline alignment at the best of times, during a crosswind approach where I have to set up the approach angle to compensate for the drift, well I’m not always the most successful at it. Every single approach, the same comment from Bob “pick up the centre line WMAP”, “find that centre line.”
I got a bit tetchy, “I’m trying,” said through clenched teeth.

“well…… try harder then,” from Bob, half joking, half not!
I was not amused “oh, I don’t think you wanna go there!” again half joking, half not!

The trouble is it’s hard to get mad at someone when you know they are right. Earlier on in the flight Bob was chiding me for being out of trim for my approach speed on base. On the next circuit I turned base, “are you trimmed out?” He asked.  I muttered something vaguely affirmative; I was at 70 knots with 10 degrees of flap, knowing that bringing down 20 degrees would retrim me to 65.
Bob retorted with “I have control”, I relinquished without question. He took his hands off the yoke, the nose instantly dropped. “You have control, sort out your trim.”

He’s right though, JES is quite sensitive on the trim and to be honest I don’t have a huge amount of subtlety in feeling the nuances of a properly trimmed plane. Bob flies fingertip controls, I don’t so much, think seal wearing boxing gloves and you’ve got a better idea! I experimented with briefly releasing the yoke on base, just to check the trim and then adjusting as needed. It really seemed to help.
I guess the lesson to take away from this is, if I’m getting fed up with hearing the same feedback then I should stop doing the crap that needs correcting!

­­­Seriously though, I’m relying less and less on Bob’s judgement now, at one point I went a bit silent in the circuit, prompting Bob to say “let me know what you’re thinking WMAP!” I was just pootling along in my own world, blissfully unaware that Bob was even sat there next to me!
I told him that next lesson I want to do some solo work. I said it was to build up my confidence but it may just be that I fancy some peace and quiet up there!
 

4 comments:

  1. Trim is your friend. I do a similar check to what Bob showed you for two reasons. One is obviously to check to see if you are properly in trim, the second and less obvious is to stop me from taking a death grip on the controls when two fingers is all you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am familiar with the "death grip" . On one of my very early flights I used to grip the control column so hard that I popped a knuckle out of joint.

      Delete
  2. You probably fly downwind at about 100 kts and reduce power on downwind abeam the numbers to slow to 70 kts. (Depending on the shape of your circuit this may not be exactly true, but adapt this to what you do). You're reducing power at some point in order to slow before you descend. At that point you probably need one or two cranks of of trim--depending on how your trim wheel is set up. Do it right and you can put in your two cranks right there, so you barely need to trim again on the approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is EXACTLY what Bob is trying to teach me to do. He calls it "finesse".
      He may have better luck putting a tutu on an elephant and getting it to dance the lead in swan lake. Finesse isn't a word usually asoociated with me!

      I will admit that getting the trim sorted before the turn to final does make the landing a lot easier though, especially in crosswinds.

      Delete