Friday 24 May 2013

So this is how it’s going to be?

Had a pretty decent flight out to the practice area and back. Achieved everything we wanted to including me getting lost. Yes, I got a little disoriented after our forced approaches and couldn’t quite figure out where I was. It didn’t bother me too much though. I had a plan. I was a bit low, so I planned to climb back up to at least 2000ft and do a slow 360 turn while I worked out just where the hell I was. It was hazy and the lake wasn’t immediately obvious but I realised that I just needed to turn south and I’d pick it up. Worst case scenario you head south until you hit the shoreline and follow it. I managed to pick up the highway before I hit the shoreline though.

Once I’d found that I was good, even if the mist was hiding the city completely.  It may sound bizarre but I wanted to get lost. You know it was my biggest fear, now I feel confident I have a plan if the worst should happen. Bob took the time to point out some landmarks, mostly to help ensure that I don’t bust the control zone of another local airport.
I was happy and relaxed on the trip home. Bob and I talked; he quizzed me on some emergency procedures. I worked my way through the scenario presented. Bob complimented me on my reasoning skills; he has the utmost confidence in my ability to work through a problem. We chatted about the traffic, the roads below us remarkably quiet. I’m beginning to understand where this concept of “spare time” might come from; you don’t suddenly get given it, it is drip fed to you slowly. Each flight you gain a little more of it.

So Bob and I chatted, I talked aloud as I planned our route, descent, frequency switches and radio calls. Lulled into a false sense of security I wondered aloud “So should I start bringing it down a bit here to join the circuit?”
Bob suddenly crossed his arms, sat back and turned his head away from me.

Realisation dawned quickly “Oh so THAT’S how it’s going to be then, eh?” I laughed! Bob joined in “Yep!”
“Fine!” I countered through mock-gritted teeth, “Let’s start bringing her down to join at circuit height!”

I had so much fun that flight, Bob and I both agree that it is a different person flying that plane now. She’s not bad at it either, if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment