Saturday 4 May 2013

Every weekend

Mixed feelings this weekend. Bob was otherwise engaged in family business, so unable to schedule a lesson. We did make alternative plans for the Thursday but the weather failed to cooperate in a spectacular way.

The weekend weather though, was gorgeous, so there was a lot of activity around the airport, I spent a lot of time with my nose pressed up against the windows in our condo, providing a running commentary of the circuit traffic in general!*
While part of me was sitting watching the planes and wishing I was flying them, another part of me was enjoying the rest and relaxation. It has occurred to me that I`ve spent at least one day a weekend, pretty much **every weekend for the past year, engaged in a flying lesson.

Even though a lesson might only be an hour long, in reality it consumes a lot more of your time than that. Once you factor in the travel time, the pre-flight briefing, the post flight discussion, the prep time outside the classroom and the recovery time afterwards***, it eats into a large chunk of my day for sure. Not complaining, you understand, just an observation.
Combine this with the fact that I`m still carrying over 2/3 of last year’s vacation allowance it hasn’t exactly been a relaxing year. It was really nice to have a weekend to myself.

Now of course, I’m itching to get back in the sky!

  

* I do this a lot; it annoys RTH a fair bit.

** Looking back I’ve had surprisingly few cancellations, but even if a scheduled lesson is cancelled its not quite the same as knowing you have the weekend off

*** Flying takes a reasonable amount out of me, both physically and mentally

No comments:

Post a Comment