Thursday 23 May 2013

A massive mental shift

While recounting various bits of my flight to RTH today, something rather dramatic occurred to me.

Now understand that today was far from a “standard” flight, High traffic volume meant a reasonable number of funky instructions from ATC and a need to have a very high level of situational awareness. Previously this would have stressed me out, left me sweating and cursing everyone in sight.
Today not only did I manage with surprisingly little in the profanity department but it occurred to me that I didn’t remember which bits of the flight Bob was in there with me and which bits I was solo for.

This is a massive mental shift because it means I’m not relying on him for any decisions. He’s a passenger, albeit a useful one to have around. The balance of power has shifted completely. Today, this was my flight. Both of them.
He asked me afterwards if I noticed a difference in my flying and attitude from this solo to the last one. I certainly do. So hard to put in words but I’m really taking ownership of these lessons, of these flights. I’m relying on him less and less and gradually developing my own style, my own way to fly.

It all feels so right at the moment. After a little dip in my confidence I’m beginning to see the big picture again.
I like the view from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment