Tuesday 30 April 2013

Say again?

Things are going quite well at the moment, that doesn’t mean that I’m flying perfectly but it does mean that I’m viewing each lesson fairly positively and learning something from it. I’m gaining confidence in areas that have traditionally scared me, such as navigation for example.

Obviously then my mind needs to focus on the next thing to be terrified of. My psyche being such that there’s always something I can latch on to anxiety wise. To be fair I actually think I may have a point with my latest “fear”. I’m getting very concerned about dealing with other people out in the practice area. I mean I reckon I can navigate my way out there and I can certainly find my way back, something I would not have believed was possible a few short months ago. But what worries me is my lack of situational awareness when I’m out there. Sure if there’s one other plane I can tell them where to go so that they won’t bug me while I do whatever I need to do. However; the practice area frequency covers a large swath of land and I’m not always familiar with the towns that people mention. This makes it hard for me to figure if a plane is 5 or 25 miles away.
On top of that, I actually find it hard to comprehend the radio transmissions. I don’t have a hearing problem or anything it’s just that they sound staticky and unintelligible to me. I don’t know if it is just me or whether other people have the same problems. Sometimes I find other pilots accents hard to understand. I think at least one of the flying schools in the zone takes on a lot of international students. They probably find me as difficult to understand as I do them. Canadians can have a tough time with my accent sometimes.

It worries me intensely because we all rely on each other making accurate, understandable position reports to keep out of each other’s way. I just see this ending very badly at some point. I know it is a big sky out there but there’s also a lot of traffic doing stuff that you wouldn’t necessarily expect in standard airspace. People are , by definition, pushing the envelope in that particular bubble.
As much as I moan about ATC, sometimes it all goes a bit scary when they are not around. I’m not sure what the solution is here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment