Sunday 7 April 2013

A new destination but somehow I’ve been here before

I’m having trouble summarising today’s flight. So much went on, new and yet strangely familiar. The previous few flights have left me with an amazing sense of achievement and a feeling that I could take on the world, this one has just left me thinking “what the f@ck just happened?” By the time we had landed I was sincerely unable to string a coherent thought together. I was mentally drained.

Bob had thrown every single thing he could think of at me. We started off with circuits, simulating soft field takeoffs and landings, did a diversion to another airport. He had me do a precautionary “low and over” the runway to inspect the surface and spot the windsock. Then he made me land. If that wasn’t bad enough it was actually a grass strip; my first actual soft field work.
Obviously this wasn’t enough so he threw in some steep turns for good measure, something I am horrifically rusty at, loads more practice needed there I think. Followed by some simulated instrument work on the way back. Holy crap! 1.6 hours of relentless workload.

And this is why, despite travelling to a new destination. I feel like I’ve been here before. I was constantly behind the plane, struggling to pull stuff out of my brain. Floundering around trying to think of what I needed to do with the plane and how I was going to achieve it. Despite this, I got the plane to do what I needed it to, I didn’t do anything stupid and next time I will be better at it. Exactly the situation I was in when I started this phase of my training.
All this has happened before and all this will happen again!

No comments:

Post a Comment