Thursday 14 March 2013

One day, I too shall ask a favour

One of the highlights of today’s flight was that I finally managed to get ATC on my side. Part of that, of course, is linked to the fact that I can actually follow what the hell is going on up there now. Even to the point where I can anticipate what ATC might ask me to do.

I think as a consequence of that I sound a little more polished on the radio and might even fool them into thinking I know what I’m doing. There were a couple of times today where I kept it in really tight at ATCs request (they also gave me the option to extend it out a fair bit.)* At one point it felt like I was still doing my turn to final over the threshold, at the time I was talking out loud and described to Bob as “eww! Bit of a squirly approach here but I think we can salvage it!” And we did, kinda, a bit bouncy but that was par for the course for that particular lesson.
I was cooperating nicely with ATC, keeping it in super tight when needed, even anticipating their request to widen it out on turn to final so they could squeeze a Porter out in front. For my troubles I got a “Thank you for helping us out S.A.R”. High praise from ATC, such a rarity that I’ve saved the audio file from LiveATC.

Just remember though guys, one day I too shall ask a favour of you! One day I’m gonna be lost, confused or just a little behind the ball. Help me out without too much attitude and I’ll do my best to pay it forward!

 

* If I was on my own I might have been tempted to widen it out, it was a little too tight for my comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment