Friday 15 March 2013

In my opinion

Yesterday was a bit of fun. I ended up spending about an hour and a half being paid to be highly opinionated. Something which I excel at.

Although I still don’t have any idea how much I’m going to be paid, I’m not too bothered. I am quite willing to be opinionated for free! Somehow I’d signed up to be part of a focus group for a new website aimed at pilots. I sign up for a lot of stuff, especially if it is flying related! RTH and I used to end up doing a fair bit of market research in the UK. Our local high street was a haven for people armed with clipboards asking for your opinion on the latest product/ TV commercial. A lot of people were rude to them. We weren’t. Consequently we used to get asked a lot. So much so that they recognised us and would actively seek us out. You’d often get some small token for taking part, vouchers or office supplies. I kept an entire classroom in free pens.
When I got the phone call asking me to take part, I was mildly surprised that they still wanted to talk to me. The call didn’t exactly get off to an auspicious start; they probably thought I was trying to be funny with them. Before I tell you the details, you need to know that RTH and I have cell phone numbers that are only one digit different. This was the case in the UK as well. Occasionally I forget which number is mine and which is his. It isn’t inconceivable that one of us has given out the wrong number. It isn’t helped by the fact that in the UK mine was the first number numerically, in Canada RTH’s is. The call went something like this

Person calling: Hello, can I speak to Mr. WMAP
Me: You are speaking to Mrs. WMAP, can I help?

Person calling: Oh I’m from xxxx company, Mr. WMAP signed up to take part in a focus group
Me: Actually that was me, Mrs. WMAP

Person calling: Oh, so you’re the pilot then?
Me: errm , actually no. Mr. WMAP would be the pilot. I’m the student pilot. But it is me you want!

Things got slightly better after that. I agreed to take part in a phone conference thingy, evaluating a website and content. It was kind of interesting to be on a call with other much more experienced pilots, just to get a different perspective on what they consider to be useful. For instance they were very keen on the interactive course being offered for various inflight emergencies, as it was something they felt they were rusty on, whereas I’m thinking I do forced approaches or engine failures or something every fricken week. It’s a tame lesson if something doesn’t “fail” on my plane. I forget that “normal” flying doesn’t actually involve stalls or precautionary landings. When learning to fly you spend 90% of your time practicing the stuff that only happens 0.1% of the time! It is though, a very nice feeling, knowing that you can hold your own in a conversation with the big boys!
I think I had some pertinent stuff to contribute. I feel I made a valid point about some of the rebadged AOPA content they are promoting. As a student I get nervous when I see anything that comes from the States, as I know enough to know there are differences in the way things operate, but I don’t really know enough to know what all the differences are. Consequently I tend to avoid anything that is blatantly American. I think I was also able to offer some constructive and professional points of view with regard to video length, pacing and clarity from a pedagogical point of view.

The website isn’t quite fully functional yet. There is a placeholder with some “coming soon” content and some articles at http://www.smartpilot.ca/ I’m not being paid to plug this, but it does look promising, especially if they take on board some of the points we raised last night.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment