Thursday 17 January 2013

Ok, who ordered the snow?

Landmarks look very different from the air when they are covered in a layer of snow. Previously familiar spots look different when they are frozen and/or snow covered. This doesn’t help someone who is already geographically challenged. It really doesn’t help when someone keeps changing the landscape on you. Also with the winter weather comes the joy of a semi cleared airport apron. Oh for sure they clear the snow and crap out of the big boys way, and add insult to injury by dumping it on our apron. When I first arrived down there the owner of the flight school was already on the phone to the powers that be to get them to move the damn stuff already. By the time I was trying to taxi out he was out with one of the dispatch guys, shovelling the last remnants out the way.

I’d never taxied through slush before. I got kind of stuck at one point and had to gun the power a little. Luckily I’d just been reading up on soft field takeoffs and stuff and realised enough to bring the control column back while I was taxiing over the really icky stuff. Again this screws with the head with someone who has finally gotten used to the inputs needed to correct for wind on taxiing. Oh and half the taxi lines were covered so I couldn't even do my "follow the yellow line" trick when navigating around the airport.
Determined as ever to look on the bright side of this, at least I’m being exposed to this stuff as a student. I’ve come to accept that my slow and steady pace of learning might not be a bad thing. I’ve gone from flying in +30°C weather to -10°C weather. I’m going to experience probably 4 seasons of flying as a student where there is an instructor to hold my hand rather than having to figure it out on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment