Thursday 24 January 2013

I’ll take out the recycling while you just yell at your ruler, ok?

It’s a wise man who knows when to retreat. RTH set me a task of planning our sightseeing route for a flight next week. A round trip from City to Sunderland to Keswick and then back to City via Buttonville.  A trip of around 100 miles, give or take. The idea is to get me some trip planning practice beforehand and some navigation practice in the air. As well as me getting some video footage of our trip, although I suspect most of it will be of my head pouring over a map!

It looks to be a nice trip over some interesting terrain, with just enough curveballs thrown in to give me some food for thought while planning. RTH was interested to see if I could spot the potential issues. These included cable launched hang gliders over Brougham, a VOR en route (need to watch out for traffic practicing instrument approaches) and potential meat-bombs over Baldwin.
I also learned a really really important lesson about charts. I was looking at the different classes of airspace we would be transiting and got confused.  I’m very familiar with the class C airspace around CYTZ. I know that I need permission from ATC to enter, rather than class D airspace (like I encountered around CYOO) in which I just need to inform them that I’m entering. A subtle but very important distinction.  I was using these two types of airspace with which I’m familiar to try and figure out what we would need to do around Buttonville. And this is where it started to mess with my head, to me it looked like all three zones were the same, and yet I knew this wasn’t the case. RTH let me stew for a few minutes and then took pity on me.

Apparently the VTA chart I have on my kneeboard (probably one I stole from RTH) is out of date, by about a year. The last major revision that was made to it was changing the airspace around CYTZ from class D to class C. An important lesson learnt here, if I wasn’t familiar with the control zone around CYTZ I’d have messed up big time if I was using my out of date charts. Apparently getting you to buy new ones periodically isn’t just a money making scheme ( I have yet to be convinced by the three monthly CFS updates though!)
I look forward to reporting on the flight itself, watch this space (weather permitting!)

4 comments:

  1. Its worse than that. The cycle for the CFS is 8 weeks, not 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez! Well I guess we have plenty of trees to cut down

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting your comment about Class D airspace. The airport I fly from is in Class D. All instances of Class D airspace in NZ are centered around control towered airports, so a clearance is required to enter. That doesn't stop the 30 or so cases of airspace infringement a year that get filed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as my prectical understanding goes , the subtle difference between class D and C (usually due to airport size) . is that when entering the class D zone around a tower is I just have to say " hi here I am" when I eneter (preferably before) whereas around the class C I have to say " Hi I'm so and so please let me in!"
    most of the smaller airports round here are class D . My home field is class D (its an international airport)
    I get a bit nervous everytime I leave the zone to go to the practice area , as they technically don't have to let me back in.
    I've had it once where we couldn't establish initial contact with tower and had to orbit while they eventually got back to us.
    the airspace around here is a mess. Above the class D around my field is the terminal control area for Toronto international (the busiest airport in the country!)so even when in the class D stuff , I have to make sure I don't bust YYZ's airspace!
    There is also a Mandatory frequency around the practice area in the class E airspace. A lot of people seem to forget this and blunder on through making no position calls whatsoever. Fun when you are doing upper airwork!

    ReplyDelete