Friday 14 December 2012

Sometimes I suspect I don’t exist

I’ve always known that bits of me are invisible. I have a hard time using faucets and hand dryers that automatically detect your hands. Because apparently my hands are invisible. I’ve come to accept this. 

I didn’t realize that my voice is inaudible though. This comes as somewhat of a surprise to me as I have always been told that my voice carries, excessively in some cases. I’m still infamous for the restaurant incident where someone had asked me a relatively simple question about temperature variation during the seasons; this resulted in me using a wine bottle and a salt shaker to demonstrate the path of the Earth around the sun and ended in me getting a round of applause from the rest of the diners!
So how do I know that I have an inaudible voice? Well I’ve discovered this website, which the geek in me uses to review my flights (especially when ATC have been up to their weird and wonderful tricks and I want to figure just what the hell happened).  On the ground it doesn’t pick up my voice about 90% of the time. Which is kind of disappointing. Not as disappointing as wearing my new head mounted camera and somehow failing to turn it on to record thoughL

When it does pick up my voice though, once I’ve gotten over the inevitable cringe of how my accent sounds, I have to say my radio work is pretty damn good compared to some people out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment