Friday 7 December 2012

Something’s different.

I’m at work, honest. The fact that I’m sitting poolside while writing this is incidental. I promise!

Yes, as much as I bitch about my job sometimes. I can’t ignore the fact that my company has very kindly paid for me to be sitting in Florida for three days in December. It’s pretty awesome, for all kinds of reasons. One, its Florida, in December! Two, the conference is actually interesting and useful. Three, It’s Florida! In December! …… you get the idea
It felt really weird being in the conference session amongst about 25 fellow educators* and I couldn’t figure it out for a while. Then I realised what it was. I knew what the guy was talking about. I wasn’t out of my depth, winging it or BS-ing my way through the stuff. There was no pressure. If I don’t learn anything new, I don’t fail anything. There’s no test at the end. It was just great to be around colleagues as equals.

One minor funny thing. At the inevitable “getting to know you” bit at the very start, we had to fill in a “reflection questionnaire”**, which had (surprise surprise!) various questions about your strengths, weaknesses, achievements etc. The first question was “what is your greatest accomplishment in life?”

Well that was easy to answer!

 
* You could tell the locals, they were wearing sweaters and complaining about the chill in the air. While us Canadians were hitting the beach!

 **Teachers are VERY good at coming up with stuff like this

 

No comments:

Post a Comment