Saturday 15 December 2012

Flying and my brain

It would appear that flying has changed my brain functionality*. Let me explain further.

An integral apart of any gathering of educational professionals is the inevitable “learning styles preference” discussion. Depending on what is in fashion at the time you could be discussing:

·         Neil Fleming's VAK/VARK model.

·         Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences.

·         Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

·         David Kolb's model

While I completely agree that different people learn in different ways. I tend to view the psychology based pseudo sciences with the same level of disdain that Richard Feynman did. Still I’ve filled in enough of these damn questionnaires to know exactly where I stand. Using the Kolb model that was being thrown around in today’s discussion I know that I always come out as an Assimilator**. In that I prefer observing to doing and thinking rather than feeling to put it crudely.  I usually fit quite strongly in this category as well. No questions.
Except that now I don’t apparently. The last one of these things I filled in has me absolutely smack bang in the middle of all four categories***. And of course I blame flying!

I have been forced to use parts of my brain that simply weren’t allowed to function before. I can read all I like about landing a plane but now I’m being forced to experience the visual and kinaesthetic feedback that you need to in order not to bounce the plane to high heaven.  Watching Bob doing something is one thing but I need to experience what a stall feels like and do the recovery myself. This has shuffled me from one polarity towards the other enough that I'm now on the fence as it were.
While I find it vaguely interesting that flying can change your mindset in such a way. I actually find it more interesting that people make a living by coming up with these “models” in the first place!

 

* Bracing myself for the inevitable barrage of rude comments!

 ** I think this makes me sound like the Borg from Star Trek. I’m totally cool with this J

 *** Apparently, according to our workshop leader, this puts me in a fifth category “awkward”. Again I’m fine with this

 

No comments:

Post a Comment