Saturday 29 December 2012

8 fun facts about Oshawa Municipal Airport:

I’m reading up on CYOO in preparation for my impending flying visit. Here’s what I’ve discovered so far:

1)      Their website was last updated in 2011 and was designed by a colour blind person. It seriously makes your eyes bleed.

2)      It was voted “The 2010 World's Most-Female-Pilot-Friendly Airport” – I have no idea what this means, possibly it refers to a promise of female washrooms and a guarantee that women won’t be shot on sight. Or maybe they’ve painted the runway pink. I’ll let you know.

3)      It is about 200ft higher than City.

4)      There are intersecting runways – this scares me somewhat.

5)      It is actually tower controlled – this scares me a lot, as much as I complain about the ATC at City at least I know them and their idiosyncrasies. I also have a vague idea of the local geographical references. I now have to talk to a whole new bunch of people intent on killing me*.

6)      The CFS shows 3 towers in the immediate vicinity of the airport- Oh goody! Something else for ATC to attempt to bounce me off!

7)      The runways look to be roughly the same length, if a tad narrower. This should be ok.

8)       The CFS reports “wildlife frequently on runway” – it is unclear as to whether this refers to animals or merely the local populace.

Still looking forward to it though. I’m sure it’ll spawn a blog post or two.
 
 
* despite sounding a little over the top, reckoning that everyone is actually out to kill you is actually a fairy healthy attitude to have in aviation.It keeps you on your toes.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment