Tuesday 6 November 2012

Surrounded by swans.

Now I’m fully aware that 90% of my issues with flying are completely in my head. Attitude is everything. The more I convince myself something is hard the more difficult I’ll inevitably find it.

The problem is swans, you see.

Let me explain, I’m surrounded by people who make flying look easy. The proverbial calm and serene on the surface but kicking like mad underneath to make it all seems effortless. Just like a swan.

 RTH is a swan, so is Bob. All I see is the effortlessness in the way that they fly. I don’t see that they are doing the same things I am. Constantly assessing, am I too high? Too low? What’s my airspeed? Where am I heading? What’s around me?
They just have that much more practice than I do. It’s the same as the events I plan. They seem to flow effortlessly, when in reality I spend sleepless nights beforehand reliving every possibility and eventuality. Now, of course, I’ve done so many that it just comes as second nature.

It’ll happen for me. I need to keep reminding myself that I’m not that far behind the curve. I’m certainly not dangerous, I know for a fact Bob wouldn’t have sent me solo if that was the case. He may be a nice guy but there’s no way he’d put his reputation (and career) just to make me feel good about myself.
Why is it so hard to have faith in yourself, even when others do?

2 comments:

  1. I started learning to fly in the southern hemisphere winter which in this part of the world is best characterized by cold, wet and windy. I thought that every bump we experienced during my lessons was caused by my inept flying and when the instructor flew it was like the plane was on rails. I now see that it was part weather part ineptness on my part and on good days I can make the plane fly like it is on rails, even in less than optimal weather. Flying is a skill, a perishable skill, and as such must be practiced to be proficient and safe. It is all a matter of time and money. For those lucky people who might be considered a "natural" it comes quickly. The rest of us have to pay up and front and get it done in our own good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I have a big ego. The thought that a bumpor jolt could be caused by something other than me is a tough pill to swallow!

      I hve to constantly remind myself of how far I've actually come. Its kind of bizarre now. I swear the plane is trimming itself out at the practice area now. I'm sure it never behaved that well a few months ago!

      Delete