Thursday 15 November 2012

Stop jinxing us Bob!

Two things today that I rest the blame squarely on Bob’s shoulders. In reverse order, we started off a fairly innocuous conversation on the way back from the practice area. Basically a “what if you couldn’t get through to tower on the radio for whatever reason, could you still enter the zone?” discussion.  Now I know that the airspace around City is class C, so I also know that I need prior permission to enter.  I correctly surmised that if I wasn’t able to get that permission then I’d have to orbit until I could get through.

Sod’s law then, guess what happened on the way back into the zone? Yep ATC had someone with a stuck mike or something going on. Anyways they weren’t interested in talking to me, not even acknowledging my calls.  So we circled for a bit before they deigned to speak to me. Weird huh ? Straight after our what-if conversation.
The first thing that I was less than impressed with was when, just before I was about to fire her up, Bob suddenly gasped sharply. In a kind of "OMG we're all going to die way*" When urgently quizzed as to what was wrong he said “I think I forgot to write the exercise numbers on the flight sheet.”

REALLY? THAT’S IT? I very quickly pointed out that was a noise, no student pilot EVER wanted to hear in the cockpit!! Especially from their instructor! Don’t do that to me! That’s a BAD sound! Instructors have a duty not to scare (however temporarily) the living bejesus out of their students**! This was all said while laughing out loud but it’s a good job I was wearing my kneeboard at this point. If I’d had it loose then, and to quote E from work, I would “have slapped him upside the head with it”!

 
* I may be exaggerating slightly here but not by much!

**  I have it on reliable authority that flight instructors are specially trained during times of high stress in flight only to sweat on the right side of their face!

2 comments:

  1. I was absolutely convinced that just before an instructor gets into the aircraft they secretly attach an entire array of flight instruments to the outside of the door, because they spend most of the flight looking intensely out the window at them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! Bob can tell that my altitude/airspeed is all wrong with his freakin eyes closed ! I think they implant them with a chip or something!

      Delete