Thursday 22 November 2012

I got lucky, again.

Getting into a bit of a pattern here. I have a slightly scuddy lesson in the circuit and Bob ends it by sending me up on my own. I really don’t get it. Now obviously it went ok because I’m here blogging this and JES is still intact. Although I am intensely proud of what I achieve every lesson, especially the solo stuff but there is still a little voice in the back of my head that still thinks “you got lucky…again!”

I don’t know what’s going on here. I know at work that I’m at my best when I’m on the ragged edge, just at the limit of my comfort zone. Is this what happens when I’m flying, am I in fact at my best when Bob cuts me loose and leaves me to sink or swim*? Scary thoughts. I must be doing something right, I mean I coped this time with traffic in the circuit, I even lost sight of them at one point but had enough capacity to realise that they were slightly faster than me so I wasn’t in danger of rear-ending them. Once I did spot them I had tower’s plans already figured out and knew that I was going to be extending my downwind even before they told me to.

I’m just going to stop thinking and let Bob do his thing. He obviously knows what he’s doing. He sent me up on my own to build the confidence again. I think he could see I was getting frustrated with myself. Gotta trust in his instincts cause mine are all over the place at the moment.



* Given the airport's proximity to the lake that may be an unwise metaphor!

No comments:

Post a Comment