Friday 2 November 2012

A typical flying day (part 4)

So just to recap in case you’ve lost track (or the will to live). We are currently just taxiing to the “hold short” point at which ever runway ATC have cleared us to.

As a side note here it is the wind direction that decides which runway we use. Sometimes I get a choice, say between 24 and 26 as they share a common threshold. I usually go with 26 because 24 and I don’t get on to well for various reasons.
Anyways once I’m on my side of the line, I point my plane so I can see any traffic on final. ATC prefer it if you wait until they a) aren’t talking to anyone else and b) have a legitimate chance of actually giving you clearance before you bother them. Once they give me my takeoff clearance I repeat it back to them, mostly to reassure them that I am indeed planning to takeoff from the runway situated directly in front of me and haven’t taken off on some mad urge to taxi halfway round the airport. Then I taxi out and line myself up so that I have a halfway decent chance of heading in a straight line when I gun the throttle.

So we point in the direction we want to go. I push the throttle in and pray! As well as offering a silent offering to whatever deity I feel may be listening, I keep one eye on the engine gauges (rpm, temp etc) to check that the engine is functioning as it is meant to, one eye on the centre line, compensating for the inevitable drift with the rudder pedals, one eye on the airspeed indicator and a final eye on Bob’s face to check that he’s not wincing too much at my directional control.

Yes I am aware that the above paragraph requires me to utilise twice as many eyes as I actually possess. Welcome to the world of flying!
After this there’s not really such a thing as a “typical flight”. I might be flinging it around the circuit ad infinitum, or heading out to the practice area to do some upper airwork. Even if I am doing the circuit to death thing, there’s not even really such a thing as standard circuit in my neck of the woods. It’s more of a fly around a vaguely rectangular course while ATC allegedly try not to bounce you into anything.

Let’s fast forward to the landing then. I set up on final approach trimming my speed for around 65 knots. Speed is actually determined by how nose high you are, your power controls your altitude*. I do my best to line it up along the centre line. I usually fail miserably. Bob offers helpful advice like “bring her to the right a bit, no, the other right!”
As we cross the threshold I chop the power back and once again pray to the deity-du-jour. At a predetermined point I bring the nose up to the horizon (the flare) and wait for the plane to sink downwards rapidly. Now I bring the control column back (not too much) trying to keep the plane off the runway as long as possible (the hold-off). If I don’t reckon that the touchdown is going to happen in the first 1/3rd of the runway (1/2 if Bob is feeling generous or is bored with me not being able to get the damn thing down already) we power up and go around for another bash at it.

Once we’ve touched down, I extricate my head from the interior roof of the plane and recover my headset from where the impact has knocked it clean off and figure out just what I need to do to get this thing back on the centreline and slowed down.

Well we’re on the ground now, so that seems like a good place to break and wait for the final installment.

                             

* yes to anyone not involved in flying this sounds messed up, and let’s face it, it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment