Wednesday 24 October 2012

I remember, part two

I remember being mildly concerned that I wasn’t quite sure how to line up for 24. I don’t actually think I’ve ever done a first takeoff from that runway. Normally I start off on 26 and end up on 24 when the winds swing round. I quietly observed SAR in front of me and looked at where they pointed.

Then I lined myself up and gunned the throttle. I remember it being quite a straight run, not too much rudder needed and then at 55 knots the tarmac and I parted company. I have vague recall of thinking “well you’re committed now aren’t you” although to be honest I felt that at the hold short line. It briefly crossed my mind that if I had decided to bottle out at the hold short line I actually didn’t know what I could say to ATC and how I could get back to the hanger. It seems strange to say this but part of me decided to go ahead and takeoff because flying a circuit seemed the easiest thing to do. The quickest way to get this over with.
ATC had already told me to continue runway heading until they called my crosswind. I actually remember checking my heading indicator to make sure I was still on track.

I recall being slightly concerned that I was wide on my downwind but figured I was still within gliding distance of land. I managed my downwind checks; I was slightly amused to find that I was still pressing on the brakes just before my base turn. It doesn’t slow you down!
I remember following in the traffic and being relatively calm until I made that turn to base. I have vague recollections of requesting a full stop on 24. And then I remember it all feeling all wrong …..

No comments:

Post a Comment