Sunday 21 October 2012

Everything went wrong and yet everything was alright.

Today was a perfect storm for everything to go wrong.

Wrong weather – forecast low cloud base (low as in below my condo windowline low!)
Wrong winds – both direction and strength (anything up to 22 knots later in the day)

Wrong plane – FJES is a lower powered plane, I don’t like it very much, it feels sluggish.
Wrong runway – I hate 24 with a passion. It’s hard to line up for, you come horribly close to the buildings and it just feels all wrong.

And yet somehow I managed to pull it all off and manage a successful first solo. Successful judged by the criteria that I got myself and the plane back in one piece.
It just goes to show that the perfect flight was never going to happen. I was convinced that mentally I needed everything to be right; I needed to be 100% happy that I’d done three perfect circuits before I could even contemplate that I would be ready to go solo.  That was never going to happen (I guess I’d be surprised if even a seasoned pilot does everything perfectly). I set myself impossibly high standards sometimes but occasionally I amaze myself by surpassing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment