Sunday 2 September 2012

You spin me right round baby

Ok, so today’s lesson was “interesting”. Three good landings in a row J. I’m getting much happier with the old plane/tarmac interface moment now. Today was “interesting” due to the traffic situation. It’s airshow time here in sunny Toronto and I was squeezing a lesson in before they shut the airspace down. Unfortunately it seems I wasn’t the only one with that idea. ATC seemed to have their hands (and airspace) somewhat full. This means I was receiving some “interesting” instructions to say the least.
Highlight included
·               Line up to touch and go 06 (I’d asked for 08),
·               no that’s not going to work , fly a full field circuit
·               No now I need you to turn south
·               Now make a turn to the  east
·               Extend over the Humber Bay
·               Pull up and go around
Pretty much all in one circuit. Even Bob had to get on the radio to ask (in a slightly politer tone than this) just what the hell they actually wanted us to do. I was seriously directionally disoriented at one point. I also did my first full stop, exit, and taxi round for another line up (does that even have a name?)
Notice the multiple use of the word “interesting”. A few lessons ago this kind of stuff would seriously have freaked me out and stressed me. Today (for some reason) I found the whole thing slightly amusing.
This is a good sign. It means I’ve got mental capacity to spare. My final landing was also “interesting”. There was a squadron of RCAF Harvard planes coming in. my clearance was “follow the group of Harvards in…. err give yourself plenty of space they are a bit slow”
Today was fun !!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment