Thursday 6 September 2012

So how many hours do you have?


This question or variations thereof, drives me insane. It seems it’s the first thing people ask you when you tell them that you are learning to fly. Now while there are minimum requirements about how many total, solo and cross country hours you need, I’m trying hard not to think of my flight training in these terms. I mean if you learn to drive, it isn’t a case of you take 5 hours tuition and then you are good to go. You shouldn’t be given your license until you have proven that you have a relatively low probability of killing yourself or the people around you. No one thinks of learning to drive in terms of hours. Flying shouldn’t be any different.

So I do in fact have about 17 hours worth of flying time at the moment and skills wise I suspect I’m pretty much at where I should be.  Sure there will people who have done their first solo by now, then again there will be people that haven’t.  RTH hadn’t ;)
For a while I was concerned that I didn’t seem to be progressing but I think I hit a bit of a tricky spot and seem to be coming out the other side relatively intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment