Sunday 23 September 2012

No longer a passenger.


As I’ve mentioned, I’ve undergone a slight attitude adjustment and am determined to stop being so passive. It appears to be working. I had a solid flight with all kinds of fun stuff going on.  I was happy with what was going on around me. I dealt with last minute runway switches and other traffic in the circuit with ease.
My running commentary has changed a little as well. Not as much swearing! (At least not as much that I’m aware of!) I’m also phrasing things more as statements than questions. For example I now say “ATC wants me to follow that Porter as he turns final” rather than “does he want me to follow that Porter in?”

After the slightly scary incident last lesson, I’m hyper aware of the traffic around me and am building up a good mental picture of what’s going on and what is likely to happen. This is a VERY good thing.

The title of this post sums it up. I’m no longer acting like a passenger in the plane. I’m making positive decisions. I made an overshoot decision today all on my own, no need for discussion. I wasn’t going to get in down in the first third so around we went. Again when I decided I told Bob we were going around, I didn’t ask him.
Of course this is all very good from a training point of view but next time I’m on a plane it’ll be as a passenger and I’m not sure how that’s going to work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment