Thursday 13 September 2012

Failure is always an option

So I went and sat the aforementioned “Pre Solo Quiz” and I’m upset L
Actually I’m pissed off. Yeah, it didn’t go so well. I managed 83% when I needed 90%. Now I’m pissed off for many reasons. During the actual test I had kind of a mental temper tantrum once I realized there were a whole bunch of questions that I simply didn’t know. I got mad at Bob for putting me in for a test I didn’t feel ready for. I got mad at him because there was stuff on the test that I don’t think we’ve covered. I got mad at RTH for not giving me a clue as to what might be on the test. I got mad at the flying school and the crappy wording of their questions/answers. And then I got even madder at myself for thinking these things. Back in my previous life my response would have been simple “whose responsibility is it to learn these things? They are in the textbook.”
So deep down I know that I should have studied up on this stuff. Maybe I should have actually learned my marshaling signals rather than sit with a friend and make fun of the pictures* (seriously one guy looked like he was straight out of Saturday Night Fever, and one set of drawings had a guy with mutantly large hands(scroll down to see what I mean))
The stupid thing is that failing this doesn’t really mean anything. I just have to go through the answers with my instructor, but it has shaken my confidence. I can handle being bad at the physical flying stuff but I’m meant to be smart. The book stuff I should be on top of. Obviously I’m not and I’ll need to fix that and quickly.

*When we saw the signal for “fire” we both looked at each other and said “ emergency or missiles?”

No comments:

Post a Comment