Friday 21 September 2012

100 posts and going strong!

Well there`s a milestone for you. 100 inane posts about my struggle with all things aviation related!

That means on average each hour of flying has spawned 4 posts! So let`s review the story so far

·         RTH* was worried that I`d freak out in the plane if he took me up as a passenger (perfectly reasonable given my history)

·         I took a `familiarisation flight` with RTH`s instructor

·         I survived!**

·         I took another lesson

·         Survived that one too!

·         Developed a bit of a taste for flying

·         Started ground school

·         Decided to take about 10 hours worth of lessons to get the basics

·         Survived stalls, spins and spirals

·         Decided I didn`t want to stop!

·         Somewhere along the way passed my PSTAR and radio exams

·         Still going strong!

At the moment I`m still flinging the plane round that circuit, waiting on the inevitable day when Bob decides to get out! I`m sure that I`ve got a million and one hurdles still to overcome but I`m having an absolute blast.
If you`d have told me 5 months ago that I`d be taking off, flying a circuit and landing with no instructor assistance whatsoever. I would not have believed you! If you`d have told me that three months ago, I`d still be dubious.

Of course Bob has always been convinced that I can do this. I hate it when other people are right!!
 


* RTH has been a huge influence in all of this. I would never have attempted this if it were not for his gentle persuasion. I`m hugely grateful for his prompting, willingness to discuss all things aviation related and generally hold my hand throughout the entire process.

** I still remember the feeling when I landed after that first flight. I just thought we were going to go for a bit of a fly around with me observing, but Bob had me doing the taxiing (heavily assisted of course!), the rotation on takeoff and I reckon about 80% of the actual flying! He treated me like someone who could actually DO this as opposed to someone who has difficulty telling her left from her right and that feeling was a turning point in my whole outlook on life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment