Thursday 16 August 2012

Please don’t let me kill him

This is a common plea heard in the cockpit when I’m flying. I have few goals in life but I’d be really happy if I can get through my PPL without any fatalities. Today had the potential to be a little dicey. It was the first time that someone had attempted to marshal me in when taxiing back to the apron.
So basically I’m (semi)controlling a large piece of machinery with a nicely lethal spinning thing on the front and heading towards a guy who’s waving his arms in a way that’s mildly incomprehensible to me (I may have glossed over that section in the book). The thing is Bob, I don’t think you should be telling someone who has marginal taxiing control at the best of times, to “aim directly for him”. I really don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment