Tuesday 21 August 2012

Oh Gravity thou art a heartless bitch!


I knew I shouldn’t have worn my Big Bang Theory “Bazinga!” T-shirt* when flying today.
Gravity was definitely not my friend. There were some hard landings, but also one OK one that I know for a fact Bob wasn’t assisting with (more on that later).

Some good points, more overshoot practice (not my fault this time). One for a Medevac helicopter, so we’ll forgive them! One when I was virtually over the threshold and still didn’t have landing clearance, so round I went. That one was OK, I’m happy with it because first of all I realised that I didn’t have landing clearance and secondly I made the decision to go around. Of course Murphy’s Law dictates that the second I opened the throttle ATC came on the radio to give the long awaited clearance. But yah, boo sucks to you I was already going around!
So today’s terrifying moment wasn’t a result of the really busy airspace  (it’s been a while since I heard any plane being told they were number 4 for the runway), it wasn’t when I realised I was so low I wasn’t going to make it to the threshold unless I added power. It wasn’t even when ATC were haranguing me to make my crosswind turn well before I was even at 500ft. No, todays terrifying moment came when I was on short final on what I reckoned was a fairly good approach and realised that Bob’s hands were nowhere near the controls. That’s bloody scary stuff!

*My friends at work brought it for me last birthday. They call me Sheldon when I start getting too boring about physics stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment